Friday, June 7, 2013

Red Curry Noodles

Curries are one of my favorite dishes. Red, yellow, green, Asian, or Indian, it really doesn't matter to me. I'll eat whatever you put in front of me. One of my absolute favorite curries though is red curry. Interestingly enough Red Curry or Prig Gang Kua, is thought to be where many other curries have evolved from. Most have the same ingredient base, some with added ingredients to alter taste.
Years ago - due to my lack of money and addition to a red curry dish at a local Thai restaurant in Chicago - I decided I needed to learn how to make my own red curry. So I marched to the store and bought some red curry paste, noodles, coconut milk, and assorted veggies. I didn't know much about Asian cooking, but I knew the base ingredients for my addition. Once home I began to experiment. What was created was a delicious hybrid of red and panang curry.
Tools You'll Need
Sauce Pot
Pan
Wooden spoon

Ingredients
1 Lb rice noodles*
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Cloves garlic
1 Tsp ginger (grated)
2 Cups eggplant (quartered)
3 Cups broccoli (sliced long ways)
1 Cup red pepper (sliced into long strips)
1 Cup zucchini (quartered)
2 Tbsp(heaping) red curry* paste
1 14oz can coconut milk
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1/4 Cup basil (ribboned)
1 14oz package extra firm tofu
Cook the noodles first. Depending on the thickness of the rice noodle, you'll either soak or boil them. I used rather thick ones (1/4"), so I boiled mine in some salt water. After noodles are al dente place them in some cold water to stop the cooking, and prevent them from sticking together. Place aside.
Right before I begin the vegetables, I cook my tofu. Chop tofu into 1/2" squares. Add a tbsp or 2 of olive oil to a non-stick pan and cook tofu over medium heat. Place aside.
Heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook for about a minute. Add vegetables and stir. Cook vegetable for about 4 minutes, then add red curry paste, stir, and saute for another 8 minutes. Once vegetables are almost to the texture that you prefer (I like mine to still have a bit of crispiness to them) add coconut milk, fish sauce, basil, and tofu. Cook for another 5 minutes. Place noodles into serving bowls, and add vegetable curry mix. Enjoy!
*Rice can be substituted for noodles.
*In the recipe I use a pre-made red curry paste, but you can make your own using this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment